This policy was last updated on October 25th, 2018.
Your interaction with Commute with Enterprise is dependent upon your relationship with us and some of the information listed below will only apply to those individuals in a Driver or Coordinator role.
What Information We Collect
Information Collected About You
You may provide us with certain information in connection with a transaction or in your interactions with our websites and at our locations. We collect the following types of personal information from you:
- Your name and contact information;
- Date of birth, driver’s license number and expiration date, and active military status if applying to be a driver;
- Commute information, including the start and end location, work hours, and employer information;
- Your credit card details, online user account details, vanpool ID and participant ID;
- Information you provide regarding your marketing preferences or in the course of participating in surveys or promotional offers; and
- If you are a Driver, information about relevant health conditions you have that assist us in providing you with adaptive driving devices
Third parties provide us with additional information about you, including:
- Referral Sources and your employer (general contact information);
- Where applicable, our Rider Referral programs;
- Third party service provider of motor vehicle records for driver applicants for insurance purposes;
- Service Providers, such as customer support (customer service-related information and enquiries made by you), customer survey providers (your response to our customer service surveys) and marketing providers (information to assist us to better communicate our products and services); and
- When a fuel card is provided to you, the service provider will send us information regarding purchases made on the card
With your consent, we will access location-based information or collect location markers from your mobile device or based on your IP address. We will use this information to provide you with notifications related to our locations, return information, local offers or other information that we think will be helpful in providing you with better services. We do not use this information to specifically locate you for any reason other than to provide you the service.
Vehicle Operation and Location Data
Our vehicles may be equipped with a vehicle telematics system ("Telematics System"). Some or all Telematics System functionality will be active during rental periods. Telematics Systems provide us with use of, disclosure of or access to (1) location information, (2) crash notification and related crash data, (3) operational condition, mileage, diagnostic and performance reporting of vehicles and (4) driver behavioral information ("Telematics Data"), as permitted by law.
We are not responsible for any data that is left in the vehicle as a result of your use. We cannot guarantee the privacy or confidentiality of such information and you must wipe it before you return the vehicle to us.
Telematics Data will be shared with those with whom we have a legal or contractual obligation to provide such data.
Our websites and online marketing are not directed to, and Commute with Enterprise does not knowingly collect personal information from, children under the age of 18. If you nevertheless believe that your child has provided us with their personal information and you need to let us know to delete it, please contact us using the contact information listed below.
How We Use Information About You
We use the information we collect from you or about you to provide you with our services and for the following purposes:
- Where it is necessary for us to enter into a contract with you and provide services to you for the duration of the contract, including
- To assist with the transactions that you request, such as renting a motor vehicle.
- To create your Commute with Enterprise account on the Commute with Enterprise website.
- To provide customer service related to your interactions with us or to respond to your inquiry.
- In order to process payments.
- To collect and aggregate trip recording data as required by your program administrator for reporting to NTD or your employer partner.
- Where necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation, including
- To share information about your vehicle's location with emergency services in the event that you are involved in a road accident.
- To share information with government and regulatory authorities when required by law or in response to legal process, obligation, or request.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests, including
- To communicate important information about your rental. These communications are transactional in nature and include password resets, driver approvals, payment confirmations and vehicle maintenance needs. These will be sent to you via email or SMS.
- To assist us in providing better products and services: for example, to evaluate the performance of our staff, to assess the quality of products and services received and to help us improve our websites, facilities and services.
- To compile statistics and analysis about our customers’ use of our websites, products, and services. These statistics are used to enable us to provide better customer service, products, features, and functionality to you and other customers in the future, and in aggregate to provide reporting that may be used for industry, government, or sustainability reporting.
- To develop a profile of you and your interactions with us so that we can provide tailored offers, opportunities and services that may be of interest to you.
- To protect our legal rights and manage the security of our networks and property. For example, we will use CCTV to ensure the security of our premises and we maintain Do Not Rent lists of customers that are non-payment or safety risks.
- To share your information with third parties in order to prevent fraud and protect our business interests and rights, privacy, safety and property, or that of the public. We will do this to collect unpaid bills, to avoid liability for penalties you incur (e.g. traffic citations) and for claims processing purposes.
- To share your information with third parties in order to permit us to pursue available remedies or limit damage that we may sustain and to enforce the terms of any rental agreement or our websites' terms and conditions. We will also disclose your information to third parties if the rights of another individual may be violated.
- To share your information with a third-party service provider of motor vehicle records for insurance purposes.
- Where you have given consent, including
- To assist us in providing you with the most appropriate vehicles, such as those with adaptive driving devices. In some cases, this will require us to infer or explicitly collect information about your health or physical condition.
- To send you certain promotional or targeted marketing communications, opportunities and services that may be of interest to you. These will include invitations to join our loyalty programs, upgrade announcements, electronic newsletters and communications regarding an incomplete online membership form or reservation. Some of these offers will be received in advertising on non-Enterprise sites, including on social media.
- To send you emails or push notifications in our mobile application in order to provide you with additional optional information related to your transaction (e.g., payment reminders, trip recording reminders and maintenance reminders).
Retention of Your Personal Information
We retain your personal information for as long as we need to fulfill our business purposes, as set out below:
- Marketing purposes: We keep data linked to cookies and other online identifiers up to three years. We keep other marketing information, such as email subscription and loyalty enrollment data for up to 7 years after your last interaction with us.
- Rental transactions: We keep the data associated to your rental agreement for up to 7 years from the date of the rental, subject to other local legal requirements. We keep records of payments you have made for 2 years from the date of the transaction (depending on the location of the rental).
- Customer service related queries: We keep general queries for 3 years, unless you make a complaint, in which case, we keep complaints data for 7 years.
- Disputes & law enforcement: If we are involved in litigation or a governmental or regulatory investigation, then we keep data throughout the period of litigation or investigation and for 5 years after that. If a settlement means that we have to keep data for longer, then we keep data for the period required to administer the settlement. If we provide data to law enforcement agencies, then we keep a record of this for one year beyond the end of the investigation.
Who We Share Information With
Our Service Providers and Business Partners
We will share your information with third parties, such as (1) payment, administrative and technical support providers or other customers or partners to facilitate your transaction, (2) companies who conduct customer research or satisfaction surveys on our behalf, (3) communication providers which send email and other marketing and service-related communications to you on our behalf, (4) customer support providers, such as the provider of our live chat feature, in order to provide you customer service, (5) debt collection providers, (6) claims processors, (7) our advertising and marketing partners and third-party media properties, including social media sites, with whom we share aggregated or de-identified information about our customers, to allow them to send targeted advertising messages on our behalf, to analyze, enhance and manage our data, conduct mobile analytics services and to maintain and improve our services (subject to confidentiality agreements as appropriate), and (8) your employer, with whom we share aggregated data about your vanpool, to allow them to provide and use statistics related to the vanpool program on your campus.
Your personal information may also be shared with (1) government authorities as outlined above, (2) Transit Agencies with whom we share aggregated data and trip recording data about your vanpool to allow them to provide and use statistics related to the vanpool program in your market, and (3) State and Federal Departments of Transportation, with whom we share aggregated data and trip recording data about your vanpool to allow them to provide and use statistics related to the National Transit Database.
Sale, Merger or Change in Control
Your information may also be transferred to another company in the event of a transfer, change of ownership, reorganization or assignment of all or part of Enterprise Holdings' businesses or assets. This will occur if the parties have entered into an agreement under which the collection, use and disclosure of the information is limited to those purposes of the business transaction, including a determination whether or not to proceed with the business transaction. You will be notified via email or prominent notice on our websites for thirty (30) days of any such change in ownership or control of your personal information or as otherwise may be required or permitted by law.
We may post customer testimonials on our websites which may contain personal information. We use a third-party provider to manage this process. This provider is responsible for obtaining your consent as necessary, removing content upon your request and answering any questions you may have.
Other rights you have may include: 1) asking for a copy of your personal information, 2) to correct it, 3) to erase certain categories or types of information, 4) to restrict certain processing, 5) to obtain the information you provide in a structured, machine readable format and 6) to transfer some of this information to other organizations.
Where we have asked for your consent to process information, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time.
If you have a complaint about our processing of your personal information, you may contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
We reserve the right not to allow access to your information or to limit your rights (e.g. if such disclosure is prohibited by law or if the rights of another individual might be violated). In some instances, this may mean that we are able to retain your personal information even if you withdraw your consent.
You will be able to opt out of direct marketing communications from Commute with Enterprise and our Subsidiaries by following the instructions in each communication you receive. You may also contact us directly using the link at the top of this page.
You can opt out of display ads you see on non-Enterprise sites by clicking on ad choices icon in the ad or through the privacy settings on the site.
Changes to These Policies
If you wish to contact us, you can submit an inquiry to us on our Global Privacy Portal.